home   |    weddings   |   at the races   |   special occasions   |   avant garde   |   contact


Monday 30 January 2012

'Style and Subversion'

On a very quick trip to the Victoria and Albert museum last Friday I managed to catch the Postmodernism exhibition 'Style and Subversion' 1970-1990.

Postmodernism is a movement in architecture that rejected modernist avant garde passion for the new. Artists and designers from this period wanted to create modern designs with a hint of classical forms from the past. After the modern age (post) its a step back to the past to create something even more modern.This movement rapidly influenced all areas of popular culture including art, film, music, graphics and fashion.

I wasn't sure if I would like the show, I thought it may be a bit retro and '80's but I found it very interesting particularity the use of collage in some of the work. I loved seeing the Leigh Bowery costumes from the Michael Clark shows and an outfit from Vivienne Westwood's 'Punkacture' collection. There was a real mix of work that created an exciting show and it was enjoyable visiting this era again.

No comments:

Post a Comment